Prompt: Based on your reading, would you consider your current instruction style more behavioralist, cognitivist, or constructivist? Elaborate with your specific mindset and examples.

Based on my reading this week, I believe I use each of behaviouralist, cognitivist, and constructivist theories depending on the situation. I favour cognitivism and constructivism though, because I think that the most effective way for learners to absorb information is framing it in a way that is cohesive with their own understandings and worldviews, and in a way that makes the information personally significant to the individual. I probably use a cognitivist approach most frequently, because I find it easier to apply than a constructivist method, especially if I don’t the learner very well.

In my experience, the reinforcement and feedback tactics of behaviouralism can be very effective in instructional settings and in scenarios that are limited to a right/wrong dichotomy. However, behaviouralism can lack room for exploration, innovation, and development.

I used to work at a high ropes course in an adventure park. Before taking a group of participants onto the course, everyone had to do a practice run on a short demo course to ensure they could use safety equipment properly and follow safety guidelines. In the practice run, a behaviouralist approach worked very well to set an understanding with the participants that there was a proper way to use the safety equipment and participate in the course. I would reinforce their learning by congratulating them when they used the equipment properly and praising their accomplishments when they used a good strategy to finish a hard obstacle.

I used a cognitivism as my approach to teaching at the high ropes course. During the practice run, I would teach how to use the safety equipment by comparing them to everyday items or actions so that the participants were able to understand my descriptions more easily. I would also use a cognitivist approach when instructing participants on how to pass obstacles that were seemingly difficult by again referencing everyday actions, or by referencing similar previous obstacles they had already accomplished as well as obstacles they struggled with but passed nonetheless. A cognitivist method helped to build their confidence and willingness to confront new challenges. It was the best strategy to use because it didn’t reinforce with a negative tone like behaviouralism has the potential to do, and it built on their previous knowledge and success.

A constructivist approach was harder to accomplish, but I would try to incorporate it as much as possible. I think that a constructivist approach has the most potential to making a lesson stick, as a personally significant concept. Because I wouldn’t know the learner before they entered the course, it was hard to know what motivated them. I would take a constructivist approach primarily when a participant was scared of facing an obstacle by framing it as an opportunity to challenge themselves, to face a fear, and as a feat of bravery. I would highlight the good feelings of triumph that would follow accomplished something difficult.

– SC